(This is a draft, which will have to be completed.)
SCHROTER, GUNTHER CARL FREDRICK 1828-1905. Arrived at Shasta in 1855 and established a saddle and harness shop in the Loag Building. Eventually added a sewing machine business to the shop and shipped machines as far away as Eugene, Oregon. In 1861 the county purchased the building and he was forced to move. He established a new saddle and harness shop in Redding. In 1867 he purchased the Charter Oak Hotel for $450 gold coin and operated it until 1888. The hotel had a grand ballroom on the 3rd floor; in 1871 Schroter operated a roller-skating rink in it. Served eight years as Shasta’s Justice of the Peace. Married Pauline Teuthorn in 1859. Was one of the first businessmen to establish a branch of his business in the new town of Redding when the railroad arrived in 1872. His Redding harness shop was destroyed by fire in 1881.